このページの本文へ移動

ここから本文

トピックパス
トップページ > 組織から探す > 国際課 > access・0606_life-style

平成26年 (2014年) 9月 16日

国際課

ACCESS  June 2006

A Bimonthly Newsletter for International Residents of Yamaguchi Prefecture


feature refuse disposal YIEA language sister-cities Q&A

Health Care


For visitors who are staying in Japan for a year or more, it is mandatory to take out health insurance (this may be either the National Health Insurance or Health Insurance that is affiliated with your place of employment). You will receive a card as proof that you are a member (one per household), and it is this card that you need to take with you on any hospital/clinic visits. You are entitled to a 70% discount for most medical services (please check with the hospital/clinic that your card is valid before receiving treatment). Some people take out further insurance to cover the remaining 30% of the costs. People who are here for a shorter period of time, who don’t have their own insurance, and don’t enroll in Japanese health insurance, will be liable for 100% of the costs of all medical treatment.


Things that may not be covered

Common things that may not be covered by the health insurance are dental, sight, and hearing checkups, some dental treatments, cosmetic surgery, vaccinations, and costs associated with normal pregnancy. This list is not comprehensive, and it is always best to check if you are covered prior to receiving treatment.


General procedure in a hospital

Register with the hospital if it is your first time there (check that your health insurance card is valid there).

Proceed to the appropriate department, and fill in a form describing your symptoms. Take a number and wait your turn.

Be seen by the doctor.

Receive a written prescription if necessary.

Pay for the prescription at the cash register.

Take a number and wait your turn.

Receive your medicine from the dispensary (usually next door to where you pay).


General procedure in a clinic

Check that your health insurance card is valid.

Fill in a form describing your symptoms.

Add your name to the list, and wait your turn.

Be seen by the doctor.

Collect your medicine or prescription from reception, and pay.


Where to go for medical services

For non-urgent problems, it is normally advisable to first visit a clinic (they may then refer you to a hospital). They are often less-crowded and better value-for-money.


Use the following link to search for your local hospital/clinic with staff who can speak foreign languages (including English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish and Russian).


Yamaguchi Emergency Medical Information System


It is not necessary to make appointments in advance, except for dental treatment.


Evening Medical Services

Should you need medical treatment in the evening, you can call the following free-phone numbers to find out which facilities are open (in Japanese only).


Iwakuni area: 0120-379901

Yanai area: 0120-379902

Shunan area: 0120-379903

Hofu area: 0120-379904

Yamaguchi area: 0120-379905

Ube/Onoda area: 0120-379906

Shimonoseki area: 0120-379907

Hagi/Nagato area: 0120-379908


Alternatively, you may call your local fire station to obtain a list of the facilities that are open.


Pregnancy

Women who give birth whilst enrolled in the health insurance scheme, or within 6 months of retiring from a job they held for at least one year, are entitled to claim 300000yen per child born, even if they are now overseas.


Resources

AMDA International Medical Information Center, 03-5285-8086 (Tokyo), or 06-4395-0555 (Osaka).

Japan HIV Center (Tokyo), Saturday 12:00 15:00, 03-5259-0256 (English)

Alcoholics Anonymous (Tokyo), 03-3971-1471

Overeaters Anonymous (Tokyo), 03-5605-9425

IMHPJ (International Mental Health Professionals Japan), www.imhpj.org



feature refuse disposal YIEA language sister-cities Q&A



お問い合わせ先

地域振興部

閉じる