Chilled Summer Noodles
Hiyashi Chuka ～ 冷やし中華 ～ Chilled Chinese Noodles
Ingredients (serves 4):
・Chuka soba noodles 4 packages
・Ham or boiled chicken 200g
・Sugar 1 tsp
・Oil as needed
・Beni shouga (pickled ginger)
・Dressing（Water 1/3 cup、Sake 3 Tbsp、Soy sauce 2 Tbsp、Sugar 3 Tbsp、Sesame oil 1 tsp）
・Karashi (Japanese mustard)
- Beat eggs with sugar, mixing well. Heat some oil in a frying pan and pour a thin layer of the egg mixture into the pan. Spread evenly into a circle with a spatula and cook for about one minute, until cooked through. Flip quickly, then remove from heat. It should look something like a crepe. Continue making thin sheets of egg until the egg mixture is used up, then cut the egg into very thin strips.
- Cut cucumber and ham (or boiled chicken) into thin strips and slice tomato thinly.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the chuka soba noodles. Boil for a few minutes or as directed on the package. Drain and rinse with cold water until noodles are chilled.
- Place noodles onto plates and place toppings on top with a bit of beni shouga. Mix the dressing ingredients together in a bowl and pour over everything evenly, adding some karashi on the side if you like it a bit spicy.
Soumen ～ そうめん
・Optional toppings:Shiso （しそ or 大葉）、Nagaimo （長芋）、Green onion、Wasabi(Others, such as tomato, okra, egg, etc.)
- Prepare the soumen plain or choose a few toppings, such as the ones listed above. Chop the toppings into bite size pieces (nagaimo) or into thin strips (shiso, green onion) and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add soumen noodles. Boil for only a few minutes or as directed on the package, then remove immediately. Drain and rinse with cold water until noodles are chilled, then place noodles in a bowl with a few ice cubes.
- Place toppings onto noodles (or leave the noodles plain), and pour some chilled tsuyu broth into a small bowl. Add some wasabi if you like. Dip noodles and toppings into the broth before each bite.