Simmered Meat & Potatoes
Potatoes (large): 4
Onion (large): 1
Shirataki (Stringy konnyaku): 1
Beef (thinly sliced): 200g
Peas: 3 tablespoons
Vegetable oil: 3 tablespoons
Sugar: 3 tablespoons
Cooking sake: 2 tablespoons
Mirin: 2 tablespoons
Soy sauce: 4 1/2 tablespoons
Water: 2 cups
1. Cut the beef into 3-4cm pieces. Cut the onion right side up into 6 pieces. Cut each potato into 8-12 pieces.
2. Boil the shirataki for 3 minutes and cut into large chunks.
3. Stir-fry the onions using vegetable oil on medium heat until they are a little clear.
4. Add beef, shirataki, and potatoes, and stir.
5. Once the beef looks done, add water and 2 tablespoons each of the following: sugar, sake, mirin, soy sauce. Cover with a lid, have it on high heat until it boils. Once it boils, turn the heat down, and spoon out the white foam.
6. Add the rest of the sugar and soy sauce once the soup is halfway gone. Put the lid back on and continue to simmer till most of the soup is gone and add peas at the end.