Kashiwa mochi - traditional food for Kodomo no Hi (Children’s Day)
Joushinko rice flour・・・・120g
Hot water ・・・・・90g
Shiratamako rice flour・・・50g
Red bean paste・・・・・・・150g
Kashiwa (Japanese oak) leaves・・・・・8
1. Wash the Kashiwa leaves. Roll the red bean paste into 8 balls.
2. Pour the Joushinko in a bowl, and add the hot water. Mix with chopsticks； once it has cooled down enough for you to be able to touch, knead the mixture with your hands. Place on a wet cloth and steam for 15 minutes.
3. Mix the Shiratamako and sugar and add water little by little. Smooth till there are no lumps.
4. When #2 is done steaming, remove mixture and cloth to cool in water. Knead and add #3. Continue to knead. Divide into 8, wet hands in water, and wrap each ball of bean paste in a piece of the mixture.
5. Place each piece in the steamer, and steam again for an additional 10 minutes on high. Once it’s cool, wrap in Kashiwa leaves.